POASTTOWN'S HISTORYPoasttown Elementary School was dedicated in 1937. Before it was a school there were multiple train wrecks with casualties within a mile of the property.
The building is currently owned and operated by Darrell and Brenda Whisman.
According to the Middletown Historical Society Poasttown is an unincorporated community located in northeastern Madison Township, Butler County, Ohio, on State Route 4, about one mile north of Middletown. It was laid out in 1818 by Peter Post as the town of West Liberty. In August of 1848 he was named the first postmaster of Poasttown. His salary was $57.20 a year. There being another West Liberty in Ohio, it was at this time that the U.S. Postmaster asked the name of the village be changed, and everyone agreed it should be called after its founder, Poasttown.
In 1851 the Cincinnati, Hamilton and Dayton Railroad was built just north of the village, making Poasttown a shipping point. The Poasttown School opened in 1937 near the railroad tracks, replacing an old one-room school that had served the community for many years. The old one-room school became the Grange Hall, and later the Madison Fire Department.
BE SURE TO VISIT THE MIDDLETOWN LIBRARY FOR THESE PHOTOS BELOW AND MORE ABOUT POASTTOWN ELEMENTARY SCHOOL
POASTTOWN 50TH ANNIVERSARY CARD 1937-1987
POASTTOWN SCHOOL DEDICATION SEPTEMBER 1937
The six gentlemen seen in this photograph made up the Madison Township School Board when Poasttown Elementary School was opened. The school opened on September 7, 1937, but was not dedicated until April 15, 1938. Dr. Walter Collins gave the dedicatory address, and County School Superintendent C.H. Williams also spoke. The members of the School Board were, front row left to right: George Finkbone, Carl Seigel and Nathan Weikel. Back row left to right: Lacy Keith, Harry Selby and Harry Augburger.
POASTTOWN ELEMENTARY SCHOOL 1972-1973
On August 18, 1936, the voters of Madison Township passed a bond issue for a consolidated elementary school at Poasttown and an addition to West Middletown School. On September 7, 1937, the new school on Franklin-Trenton Road opened. This brought the end to the township's one-room schools. Pupils from Upper and Lower Browns Run, Dubbs, Pike and old Poasttown were assigned to the new building. The new school opened with 200 pupils; however all construction was not completed, so the building was not dedicated until April 15, 1938. This image must have been made some time in 1972.
COOKS AT POASTTOWN 1987